The following main variables are scored:
In S3 the variable Symptoms of mental and physical dependence is not scored.
- Excitatory effect of alcohol: Describes the stimulating effect of alcohol – the increase in self-confidence and readiness to take risks, reduction in self-control and critical ability.
- Psychopharmacological effect of alcohol: Describes the effect of alcohol on mood and arousal level – anti-depressive, anti-anxiety and sedative components.
- Sociodynamic function of alcohol: Describes the group-related and socially integrating effect of alcohol – making and maintainting contacts, having the confidence to approach people.
- Exploiting a social context: Describes the culturally conditioned social acceptance of drinking in everyday life – drinking as an act of self-reward, drinking at parties.
- Symptoms of mental and physical dependency: Complex process of the self-reinforcement of drinking – problems become motivation.
A discriminance score is also calculated: this indicates whether respondents should be classed as “normal drinkers” or alcohol-dependent individuals.