Greater safety on the roads
Fitness to drive on the basis of statutory requirements
Assessing people’s fitness to drive is one of the oldest applications of modern psychology. Traffic psychology tests based on statutory requirements are used in two key areas. They are used on the one hand to identify performance deficits in potentially dangerous drivers (primarily drivers who have committed serious motoring offenses) and on the other to select what are known as “drivers with increased responsibility” (primarily professional drivers).
The legal provisions governing the testing of driving-specific abilities and driving-related personality traits frequently vary from country to country. There is no standardization of the range of dimensions to be tested, the defining of cut-off scores or minimum levels of these dimensions, or organizational arrangements for traffic psychological testing. Since Germany and Austria have a long tradition of traffic psychological assessment and extensive know-how in this field, the regulations of these countries are often held up as a model for the implementation of legal requirements elsewhere.
The tests in our Vienna Test System TRAFFIC provide you with a fair, objective and valid instrument for establishing fitness to drive. It is the task of the legislature to ensure that the potential benefits of traffic psychological assessment are utilized to the full. The greatest gain that can be achieved by traffic psychological assessment and measures derived from it is the reduction of road traffic accidents and an increase in road safety.
Looking for solutions regarding road safety assessments? Find out more!
Assessments for greater safety
- The Vienna Test System: the worldwide no. 1 in traffic psychological assessment.
- Compilations of specific tests designed to answer an overarching query: fitness to drive (DRIVESTA, DRIVEPLS)
- Certainty and reliability through consideration of personality characteristics relevant to road safety (IVPE-R, VIP, WRBTV).
- Wide range of high-quality tests validated for use in traffic psychology.
- Test presentation optimized for traffic psychology clients.
- Automated and easy-to-understand scorings with clearly set out results, individual reports, detailed profiles and comprehensive overall assessments.
Depending on the issue under consideration, different dimensions can be measured, e.g.:
- Mental stability (IVPE-R)
- Readiness to take risks (WRBTV)
- pace/time orientation (ZBA)
- elective attention (LVT)
- Instrumental aggression (AVIS)
- Eye-hand coordination (2HAND)
- Self-control (VPT3)
- Reaction time and choice reaction (RT)
- Stress behavior (DT)
- Information processing (AMT)
- Concentration (COG)
- Perceptual speed (ATAVT)
- Obtaining an overview (LVT)
- Peripheral vision (PP-R)